Thursday, November 13, 2014

Zucchini Noodles with Mushroom Sauce



Remember when everyone online was making zucchini noodles? No? Okay, maybe I watch too many raw foodies on Youtube but I couldn't help joining the bandwagon. I'm not usually one for fads. Like that time when everyone decided color blocking was in and I went shopping at Zara only to find everything in beige, red, and forest green? Let's just say I didn't shop for clothes during those few months.

What are zucchini noodles? Basically they're just thin strips of zucchini that resemble noodles. Most people have a spiralizer or a julienne peeler (which is what I have) but it can be achieved with a peeler and some steady handiwork. Of course, you could just go ahead and use pasta.

The sauce here is a nice little mushroom sauce. I didn't add tomato puree/diced tomatoes because I try to avoid tomatoes when I cook for myself (I just don't like to consume it often) but if you like them, add a 16-oz. can (about 2 cups) of pureed or diced tomatoes along with the other liquids and taste it for saltiness before adding any miso.

Zucchini Noodles with Mushroom Sauce
Serves 2

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups brown mushrooms, diced
1 medium onion, diced (a med. onion for me is about 3 inches in diameter)
1 shallot, minced
2 stalks of celery, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup red wine
1/4 cup apple juice
1 tbsp white miso paste

2 zucchinis, julienned or spiralized (or 2 servings of cooked spaghetti or fettuccine as per package instructions)



Chop all vegetables accordingly then heat a pan on high heat. When the pan is heated, add the olive oil to coat the pan. Follow with the garlic, shallot, celery, and onions, making sure to constantly stir.



When the onions are tender and translucent, add the mushrooms and stir until the mushrooms have released most of their water and reduced in size (about 5 minutes). Reduce the heat to medium low and add the red wine, apple juice, and miso (making sure the miso dissolves in the liquid). Stir and let simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the liquid has evaporated. You can leave it chunky like this or puree it with an immersion blender.

Serve on top of zucchini noodles, garnish with basil leaves, and enjoy!


0 comments:

Post a Comment