Thursday, May 7, 2015

Die deutsche Sprache and a smoothie

I'm not gonna lie, I put this blog on the backburner. Let's be real for a second: how would you react if you yourself were a spectator to the slow decline of your foreign language skills not to mention your roommate is an unfinished portrait of Jesus that seems to just stare and judge you if you even think about having fun on the weekend?

Oh hi there, it's Aya, a drama queen and sometimes writer of this blog Healthy Appetite.

Many mornings are spent eating breakfast and poring over my German workbooks lately. Mainly because I developed a serious[ly bad] habit of doing all my school work the morning of the day that it's due. Funnily enough, I had a conversation with a 10 year old who just stared at me and told me, verbatim "What's the problem? It's so easy. Just take 10 minutes after school, get a glass of water, and do it." I say funny because the answer is so simple that even a 10 year old could figure it out.


I also recently got incredibly sick, so I took a good amount of time slicing up fruit to make a fruit ombré, because you know, YOLO.


Do you guys know the book? Well here's the game version! I picked it up to better my German skills and to play with my friends. I actually shockingly won the first go-round because I am incredibly good at guessing and one question was about shopping (no, I'm not fulfilling a stereotype, I am merely enhancing it).

Oh, and breakfast? I'm pretty much obsessed with smoothies nowadays. I'm gearing towards less green ones and more dessert type ones because I've subconsciously cut back on baking and thus need to replace the sugar with smoothies (I'm an energizer bunny). Here's a quick recipe for a super energizing, naturally sweet, pick me up smoothie!



Vegan Vanana Smoothie
Serves 1

Ingredients
2 medium ripe bananas (the riper the sweeter)
1 in/2.5 cm piece of vanilla bean
4 medjool dates/6 deglet noor dates (you can soften them in hot water 30 minutes before if hard)
1 cup almond milk (or whatever milk you desire)
ice (amount depends on the preferred thickness)

Place all ingredients into a blender (no need to scrape the pod for vanilla beans--just put the whole piece in) and run until smooth (a full minute or 2). Pour into a glass and enjoy looking at all the tiny little vanilla flecks in your smoothie.

Variations:
If you want to get creative, add 2 tbsp of carob powder for a slightly chocolatey flavor.
If you miss Christmas, add 1 tsp of cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg.
If you want to feel refreshed, add a few mint leaves to the blender and blend away!



0 comments:

Post a Comment