Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Quickie Breakfast!

Hey guys, what's up?

Today is gonna be a bit more eventful than the other days I've had (or shall I say social). I'm meeting up with my friend Cristina and then heading over to a drawing class later in the evening with my friend David. A bit nervous because he's an amazing artist and because I haven't had practice in a while. I'm pretty sure the last thing I drew was an agitated ice cream cone . . . [nervous laughter]

Anyway, today I share with you a quick breakfast idea/recipe!

It's red berry season here in Germany. I love me some berries and I thought I would take full advantage of the fact that they are growing in the garden.

Johannis Berries and Raspberries

There were only a few raspberries so I ate them pretty quickly, but the Johannis berries (do they have a different name in English?) were a bit tart so I decided to mix them in something instead.

Behold, my bowl of oats!

Quick and Healthy Red Oats
Time: ~8 minutes (including cutting and pitting cherries)

1/3 - 1/2 cup dry oats
3/4 cup soy milk (or milk of choice)
1 Tbsp Chia Seeds
1 Tbsp Sesame Seeds
1 Tbsp Flax Seeds
1 Tsp Cinnamon
Raisins
Cherries
Johannis Berries
Honey (optional and to taste)

Cook the oats in the milk, either on the stove (5 minutes to heat - stir occasionally) or by microwave (1 min 45 sec - 2 min). Stir and let sit while you cut/pit.
Put all ingredients in the bowl, fruits on top. Mix and enjoy!

You can do an overnight oats version which is what I did for Oli today. Just let your oats sit in the milk in a covered container overnight. I also added half a banana and protein powder so it'd hold him over longer. If you let it sit overnight, it'll absorb the liquid, and you'll have breakfast waiting for you in the morning!

Super simple, super quick, and super healthy! I did this two days in a row. It's also really great to change up the ingredients as well (maybe throw in a few chopped nuts?)

Anyway, happy Tuesday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment